This little package is quite deceiving, it may look like just another chocolate treat, but it is quite decadent. The cake is flourless, dense and extremely chocolate. The frosting is like eating a piece of fudge; the two together can quench anyones chocolate craving.
My daughter’s 21st birthday was yesterday, the reason for this late post. I asked what she wanted in her birthday cake: chocolate cake with chocolate icing. She had to share hers with her friend, it was that rich. I decided on cupcakes, since they are limited on their choice of pans. I hope you enjoy this dessert; however, beware they are extremely rich!
Ingredients for cake
1 cup water (I substituted coffee, it adds another layer of flavor to the cake)
3/4 cup sugar
9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, diced
18 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
6 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with parchment cups.
- Combine 1 cup water and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. This step can also be done in the microwave.
- Whisk sugar syrup into chocolate; cool slightly. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until well blended. Portion batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until center no longer moves when pan is gently shaken, about 16 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
Ingredients for fudge icing
1/2 cup butter
3 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 pound confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
- Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave, or in the top of a double boiler.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the milk.
- Blend in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add remaining milk, a little at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Let stand until spreadable (frosting will thicken as it cools).